I Forge Iron

Mother's Day

So how many of you gave your Mother a hand forged gift?

I gave mine a chunk of vesicular basalt that was a bit heart shaped (out of the local arroyo with 3 "clumps" of old wood auger bits---rusted past recovery---forged into a semblance of a local desert plants and mounted in holes I drilled into the rock.

The younger siblings---about 30+ years younger---have a big dog that's tearing up her plants so I gave her one that will either not notice the dog or teach it NOT to mess with it!

My Father said that the local Dr he goes to might want one like that too.

Got my kids involved making hard candy for their mom & grandmother (my wife & mom). Rigged my log splitter as a press to do the squishing. All at the last minute as usual, so we were up late the night before Mothers' Day, however they had a lot of fun. This is one of the bowls.

post-12225-0-65888300-1337257444_thumb.j

I to did some roses one for mom and the left one for a friends mom. The one on the right was my fisrt try and left was second try. I think i like the right on best and i made it faster. I would like to get better and try heat colloring the pedels and forge weld on leaves, but im still working on my forge welding skill and i think a bruner upgrade would help. Anyways they both liked them very much and that made me happy. And its moments like that that make me love this trade even more.

Rose4.jpg