I Forge Iron

Fontanini vs Refflinghaus?

I'm hoping someone can offer a frank comparison between these manufacturers. I'm enticed by Fontanini's features, price point and the fact that it's made in the USA. On the other hand I've heard Refflinghaus anvils described as the best on the market today. If I go for the more expensive option I'd like to know ahead of time what the extra money is buying me.

Thanks for looking!

Freeman - I have a Refflinghaus and live just south of Chapel Hill. Give me a call if you want to experience one in person. As to hardness, my Leeb hardness tester shows mine to be Rc 60-63 across the entire surface so certainly mine is impressively hard. No dents or chips yet but I have only had it since last summer. I do like that it does not dent with a missed blow as my smaller Hay Buden does. Dick Nietfeld at Shady Grove Blacksmith Shop was good to do business with. - Doug

Freeman - I have a Refflinghaus and live just south of Chapel Hill. Give me a call if you want to experience one in person. As to hardness, my Leeb hardness tester shows mine to be Rc 60-63 across the entire surface so certainly mine is impressively hard. No dents or chips yet but I have only had it since last summer. I do like that it does not dent with a missed blow as my smaller Hay Buden does. Dick Nietfeld at Shady Grove Blacksmith Shop was good to do business with. - Doug

I swear, you throw a rock in the air around Pittsboro and odds are good it'll land on a blacksmith! :) I would definitely enjoy an opportunity to test drive a Refflinghaus anvil before I make a purchase. Thanks for the offer!