I Forge Iron

My forgery

I thought this site could use a good laugh so here's a couple of pictures of the bikewheel blower and forgery. I bought a dryer several years ago and the clothesline wasn't used and I used to have to trim around it. Now I just mow over where it used to stand. That's also the legs of the blower support and forge support. I should get points for recycling? Hey maybe since it produces heat I could get a government loan for Green Energy? Other than buying 1/4" steel for the firepot, this whole thing is scrap that was in the way. Of course I bought the blower as well. The blower pulley is 550 cord that was being used for another purpose but wore out and broke in one spot. So even that is scrap. I never realize how green I am! I'm going for most colorful description of this forge so let's have some fun with these pics. I fired it up and it works. Now if my anvil ever gets here, I'll have a third world forge, an antique blower, and a brand new anvil sitting on the hardest red oak stump I've ever dulled a chainsaw cutting. Stump was free and I have plenty more that I got from a tree trimming service. I'll add those pics when the anvil arrives. The clever minds on IFI can surely come up with name suggestions for this monstrosity. I've got thick skin and more sense of humor than a man should have plus a peg leg. There's got to be some great one liner names. I posted once that I am not a welder and taught myself. The firepot is the proof of that! :D post-24321-0-06667900-1335978517_thumb.jpost-24321-0-21778400-1335978542_thumb.jpost-24321-0-48096200-1335978598_thumb.j

bicycle-powered machines make me think of 1) demented hippies and 2) Gilligan's Island

could go either way depending on the lighting fixtures you choose lava lamps for the hippie look, coconut lamps for the Gilligans Island look

Uhhhhhh...........You're right about one thing. A welder, you're not......yet. :) But, like Dennis said, "but hey, you tried and are doing what you can with what you have, good on ya." You certainly have a one of a kind. But you DO have one that seems to work. So go for it and share some of your projects. Thanks for sharing. :)

Hey, it's great to see you doing something other than talk about doing it! That's what we like around here men of action and determination, not sit abouts like me. Man is my butt sore from sitting and forging copper but at least I'm still banging on something. Line that sucker or I guess that I should say blower and let's get some iron HOT!

As soon as my anvil gets here I'll be doing projects and more projects. I'm thinking the Gilligan's Island has real potential for laughs. I'll buy some coconuts and put LEDs inside. LOL

lol....

I just hope that wasn't galvanized metal

but hey, you tried and are doing what you can with what you have, good on ya
No galvanized at all. It's a washer welded over a scrap frame. The welds are ugly but I stood on it and it held my fat asterisk. I do have a couple pretty welds that aren't in the picture. They weren't my fault though they happened by accident. LOL

I like it, been looking at bike parts out in the yard for years thinking there's got to be a way to use this to power a blower, A real blower (2 now) came along before I got to thepoint when I bashed together bike parts and a similar to yours fan housing.

Well done! nice first forge, since nobody stops at building one.

I like it, been looking at bike parts out in the yard for years thinking there's got to be a way to use this to power a blower, A real blower (2 now) came along before I got to thepoint when I bashed together bike parts and a similar to yours fan housing.

Well done! nice first forge, since nobody stops at building one.

That's a Champion No. 4 blower. It is a real blower!