I Forge Iron

Tuition

Robakyo

Thomas, I absolutely agree with you about the kissaki! Being one of my first ever blades, made way back in late 2010, I plead guilty to complete ignorance. I actually did base my Kissaki on the Cold Steel tanto.

I have studied many subjects related to Bladesmithing ever since. I consider myself a complete novice at this, which inspired the title of this thread.

I truly appreciate your compliment about the cleavers and chef's knife. They, along with the last batch of knives were forged this past winter. Outside, in my wood burning forge. I felt confident enough to heat treat all of those blades in one day earlier this spring.

I gained that knowledge here, on IFI. You, and so many others here, offer lifetimes of experience in the information you share. Thank you Thomas! ........ Thanks, to everyone who shares their triumphs and failures.

Robert

P.S.- I just realized that I do have some wisdom to impart: If you use wood as fuel in your forge, be sure to wear a hat, or you'll singe most of your hair off! : )

Rich, thank you for your valued advice! This blade hardened nicely. I used refractory cement, applied conservatively, and ended up with a weak Hamon. I had bent the downward slightly beforehand, because I intended to quench it in water. What a nerve-wracking, exciting experience! I can't wait to try it again!

I think that the heat treat turned out really well, considering the unknowns about thi steel.

That's great to know about epoxies. I will never forget that fact. I think I'll have to chalk this up to a lesson learned, and try not to repeat this error. Thanks for your advice Rich. If I ever feel Froggy, I just might throw this puppy back in the oven.

Robert