I Forge Iron

one ugly face but elegant horn on this mouse

i was on my way to pick up our disc mower and stopped by a local scrapper who i had asked to keep an eye out for anvils before they go into the chipper
he was nice enough to drop this one over the bank and 25bucks later and a quick trip down to fish it out and i have something to try and fix or leave it as it is and have a so so anvil for people to learn on that i don't have to worry about
over all she aint pretty but still rings like a bell on what face there is 75-80% rebound
i wish i could read what is stamped on the side above 1 . 0 . 2 i am assuming this is a simple 102lb in the hundred weight system
i am thinking its a mouse hole just going buy the shape of the body and horn
anyone have an idea as to the proximate age of this anvil i don't know why but its fun to know how old tools are for me anyways
thanks all

post-22808-0-49896800-1334802964_thumb.j

post-22808-0-28886500-1334802995_thumb.j

post-22808-0-34275700-1334803016_thumb.j

post-22808-0-30422300-1334803034_thumb.j

Cool project anvil! I wish I could spend time hangin' by the gate at Andersons Salvage in Greely Co. where the trucks roll in with tons of old farm scrap one after another all day and sidetrack em before they dumped their loads......But who can do that? A shame so many good tools go to waste.

yeah its amazing though now and then you shake a hand and ask some one to keep an eye out but you dont hold your breath and they come through for you its always nice when that happens

any thoughts on if this is a bad idea to try and redo the face on this one?