I Forge Iron

Can Stainless Be Hardened?

300 series will not harden. 420, 440 and some of the high alloys like 52100 will harden. Austenitic stainless will not harden - martensitic will (guess which is which above... :-)

I don't belive that 52100 is generally considered a stainless steel. It has less than 2% chromium, and you usually need about 10% chromium to be a stainless steel:
Stainless steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Torin,

You are correct. Machinery's Handbook lists 52100 as a chromium furnace steel primarily used for bearings and race - not stainless. It may be more corrosion resistant than 1095 or something similar but it is not classified as a true "stainless".

And far be it from me to besmirch such a fine steel. It is a very good steel for knives. :)

I believe 300 series stainlesses will work harden, but that is not something most people try to do;-) But that won't hold what we would consider a decent knife edge, nor will it make the steel a "better" spring, stiffer maybe, but more likely to fail. 300 series is only good for corrosion resistance. For what its worth;-)

My metal supplier says that for anything on the coast, they use 303, because it wouldn't rust even if you left it in hot saltwater for a year(maybe not literally, but its pretty darn stainless). Other than its stainless-ness, it doesnt have much to recommend it.