I Forge Iron

Blacksmith's Stew

Reoryx

Hello guys,

The little box on my screen says it's been too long since I posted :o - so I thought I'd start a new thread. I once saw a reference to "Blacksmith stew";
I did a quick search in Vulcan's grill but didn't see anything so I thought I'd ask for recipes.

Jason

At the OABA, Ontario Artist Blacksmith Association, meetings there is occasionally blacksmith stew made. Everyone attending is asked to bring one pound of meat, cut into 1 inch squres, and one pound of vegetables, no potatoes, also cut into 1 inch squares.
It is all dumped into a pot, it is approxinately 2 1/2 feet deep by almost 3 feet in diameter so it cooks up a heap of stew. Add a bit of water and some flavour - bbq sauce or whatever you have handy or want.
When you get your bowlful you have no idea what kind of meat and veg you are getting. Makes for some interesting guessing as to what your are eating. And it always tastes great! :-)

Brian

I make "blacksmith's" chili:

The following for one lb of meat:
Dry Red Chili Powder (Hatch Big Jim or equiv) 2 TBL
Flour 2 TBL
Cumin (comino) 1/2 TBL
Salt 3/4 TBL
Black Pepper 1/2 TBL
Dried Onion Flakes 1 TBL
Dried Minced Garlic 1 TBL
Diced Rotel Tomatoes 1 - 10 oz can
Chipotle Jalapenos in Adobo Sauce (San Marcos or Herdez) 7 oz can [see note]*
Worcestershire 1 TSP
Water ** 1 - 10 oz can
Ranch Style Beans *** 1 - 8 oz can

Notes: * Chipotle Jalapenos are the primary heat source in the mix but the brand and kind of chili powder makes a difference. I usually put one or two chipotles in the blender and puree them for one pound of meat. However, if the chili powder is already hot, this may be too spicy so I prefer a mild powder then add heat to taste. Cayenne powder may also be added for more kick.

Measures are not linear and large quantities must be checked for taste. It’s easy to put in too much onion and garlic.

** Fill and reuse tomato cans for water.

*** Beans are optional. The sweet onion style is good but cut back on the dried onions.

May use ground beef, venison or venison/pork mix. All give a slightly different flavor. Straight venison should have a little bacon fat or cooking oil added. I also like to serve the above recipe over long grain rice.