I Forge Iron

Advice on a treadle hammer...

As I do when in need of some expert advice, I'm going to the experts :) I have got the plans for both the Bob Warner Inline treadle hammer and Clay Spencer's Inline hammer (from Abana). From a cursory perusal, it seems that Bob's is more doable for guy of my ability in fabrication and tooling. But my question is, does anyone see a big difference between the two THs? Is one without question the better hammer? Because if there is no real big difference in performance, I'm definitely leaning towards Bob's, with two changes. Both the hammer and the anvil are going to be solid pieces as opposed to lead or sand filled. It just makes sense to have these as solid for performance reasons.

A second question is do you think it would be difficult to make either of these hammers into a power hammer? Has it been done (asked the novice)? I'm just thinking of down the road if I may want to do that, because I would hate to have to buy new steel for the hammer and anvil. As usual, thanks in advance for any replies and advice.

Rob

Based on your post, I will have two reasons to prefer the Bob design to the Clay one.

The 1st reason will be sensitivity for doing soft work. The Clay inline design will lack it a bit, due to the chances of more lateral movement of the ram-head while forcing it down with the foot-pedal, causing the ram-slide to raise the frictional force in the slide. In the Bob design it will not be so.

The 2nd reason for chosing the Bob one will be the ease of converting the same to a power hammer.

Hope this helps.

Aditya

I have not seen the Bob plans.
One of my latrest publications toarrive probably Anvil's ring had a small add for an air assisted treadle hammer.
Dont have the publication here to check the brand and if in fact ait was the anvil's ring.
adding a ram and some power will not be a power hammer no matter what the design you will just not have to use your leg
A power hammer runs 120 to 340 rpm and I dont believe a teadle hammer is capable of that

I guess if I wanted to build a tire hammer, I could just take the hammer and anvil from the treadle hammer and start from scratch for the tire hammer build. Of course I'd lose the treadle hammer, but I'd be gaining a power hammer :)

What do you want a hammer for? A treadle hammer is not a substitute for a power hammer. If you want the hammer for drawing out more quickly don't build a treadle hammer. If you want to do repouse or free up a hand for stamping chiseling or other top tool work a treadle hammer is a great tool. If you want to draw out material yes fullering dies will pull the material out more quickly however the corner of the anvil and a hammer pein will do the same thing. A treadle hammer will give you a hard blow but much slower blows than by hand.

If you want a power hammer, build a power hammer. My treadle hammer was as loud as my 50lb air hammer. If noise or vibration are going to be a problem with your neighbours the treadle hammer is going to be as big a problem. While the power hammer is a tap tap tap sound, treadle hammers tend to be a crash crash crash sound.

Thanks for the replies. The reason I am asking about the treadle hammer is I have around 60 rail clips. These are very curved as well as, at least for me, thick (3/4"), It took me, on my makeshift anvil of a 4 x 6 x10 inch block of mild steel, a good two hours to just get the thing straight. I know that's got some poor skill involved with it, too. I have heard both good and bad regarding the treadle hammer in terms of drawing out, of which is my biggest need at the moment. I'm assuming, as usual, it's a relative thing, that with the proper dies, I think I could do the straightening of the curve as well as the drawing out much faster with a treadle hammer than my current pace. I know it's not ideal (power hammer) for my most pressing need, but in anyone's opinion here, would it be worth it? BTW, I am buying the Tire Hammer plans from Clay Spencer, but given the present state of my finances, I don't see being able to get that build done anytime soon. Again, thanks for the advice.

Sounds like your not getting the steel hot enough. I think you are better to get your hand skills built up before you get into power equipment. Join your local ABANA affiliate and make sure you go to Quad state in September. You will learn a lot at your local group and at QS You may be able to try out a treadle hammer and a tire hammer at either your local group or QS. There are often people selling both at QS.

The old Blacker hammer is a treadle/power hammer design. You might want to study those a bit for linkage and overall layout.

I personally built two treadle hammers to the original ABANA plans and like that design just fine. It's not an in-line model but hits very hard; I have gotten used to it over the years and wouldn't trade for anything different.

I have not seen the Bob plans.
One of my latrest publications toarrive probably Anvil's ring had a small add for an air assisted treadle hammer.
Dont have the publication here to check the brand and if in fact ait was the anvil's ring.
adding a ram and some power will not be a power hammer no matter what the design you will just not have to use your leg
A power hammer runs 120 to 340 rpm and I dont believe a teadle hammer is capable of that

You are taking it literaly. Actually if you see the Bob design, you will realise it is almost like a foot-driven rusty/krusty style hammer without the power-assistance.
With minimum mods, it can be converted.

@Rob N

If you want to spend less money, but also want to continue with your work, then you have to check out more things. Pls first get the feel of a treadle yourself, which is already suggested. Also see other real people at work, and from that assess your needs. If you must go for a treadle hammer, then I suggest the classic swinging-arm design. It will be very useful in lots of work, and also will be cheaper to build. Later you can go for a power hammer.

Good luck in your journey.