I Forge Iron

Welding on tire rims / tire hammers

JNewman

Someone posted a similar video a couple of years back, but I think this was more informative. Also a great reminder, I know I have used a torch on a stuck axle nut before. Thankful that I did not heat the wheel itself. Also in welding school this was not mentioned. They did talk a lot about safety cigarette lighters and other possible hazards, never any thing on welding on a wheel.

That they can blow up and kill you, I am not sure if it is possible but I would not like to find out the hard way. The instructors told us not to weld with a lighter in your pocket, so one of the students placed it on the bench right in front of where he was welding (in a small welding booth) when the teacher was making his rounds to check on everyone's progress he found the guy in there with the lighter right in front of him, he said,"Well you told us not to weld with it in our pocket" We all got to gather around and have another lecture on lighters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That they can blow up and kill you, I am not sure if it is possible but I would not like to find out the hard way. The instructors told us not to weld with a lighter in your pocket, so one of the students placed it on the bench right in front of where he was welding (in a small welding booth) when the teacher was making his rounds to check on everyone's progress he found the guy in there with the lighter right in front of him, he said,"Well you told us not to weld with it in our pocket" We all got to gather around and have another lecture on lighters

Years back when I was doing Ironwork, a fellow welder was doing his thing sitting on a beam when a spark landed on his thigh. The Bic in his pocket detonated taking some flesh with it. Ever since then, I have used a Zippo. Only a little fire, no go BOOM.