I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing tourism in Frankfurt?

dbrandow

Too late I know, I'm offline weekends; but I did buy some blacksmithing books at the Frankfurt fleamarket when I spent the summer over there. I was able to ask about books on old iron work and kunstschmiede stuff. Also pre war guidebooks often had examples of forge work that no longer exists---especially pre-WWI.

Note that buying smithing books from the 1930's: they will NOT be on display due to the laws on displaying swastikas--a symbol used in Smithing from that dark era.

When I toured Neuschwanstein I was given special permission from a guard to photograph one of the ornate door hinges as none of the shop pictures had a clear example and I really liked it. (Modern of course, that castle was built with a steam crane...)

note if you get a chance to get out of town; Marksburg castle above the town of Brauback on the Rhine (near Koblenz) is the only castle along that stretch that wasn't destroyed by Napoleon and then re-built during the German Romantic period. A pretty drive from Frankfurt.