I Forge Iron

Looks like a reasonably nice hammer... has the big anvil which is odd for a older machine (it also looks like it has a newer short guide ring on it... I would expect a blacksmith to pay $6500 or there abouts for a machine like this... Maybe some company who has one failing who needs it for some operation would pay this kind of money.... But my bet is that in a year or two it will be on eBay and sell for 25% of there asking price...

With a friend that purchased a Nazel 4B from Yoder, and the amount of work it needed, I will say this, they either know nothing about powerhammers other then how they look, and think a coat of paint makes it run better.

A hammer that gayly painted might appeal to an interior decorator so not much chance of it being used...... :lol:

I came across that guys web site a few years back when I got my power hammer. There is very little information out there on the Comonsense power hammer. I think he sold that hammer, I do have the same model but it does not look that purtey.

Yes it is hard to use tooling, the adjustment is in the spring. My spring is all flattened out so I have no adjustment. I have the hammer tore down to re-pour the babbit now, I have made a new shaft and one of these days my brother is supposed to come help me with the bearing pour. I have located a replacement spring through Sid @ Little Giant but it is not cheap. I am having trouble finding another source for the spring, so I will be getting it from Sid and I hope it is close enough to work, the wire size is heavier so that may be an issue.
All in all I like the hammer it has great control with the slack belt. My hammer was not hitting as hard as I think it should, my bearings were pretty tore up and the spring probably has some effect on that as well. It would actually hit harder if I ran it slow than if I went all out.
One major drawback with this hammer is when you break something you have to repair it or make a new part, unless you happen to find a parts hammer. No one has a warehouse full of parts for this hammer. I have seen more of the smaller No. 1 hammers, not sure on production numbers. There is a one page write up in Pounding out the Profits, that is the only reference that I have found on this hammer. Alexander Wygers did use the smaller #1 hammer and he shows a little in his books on the set up and adjusting, he does not say what brand the hammer is but if you look at the pictures there is no doubt. I have also confirmed this by seeing his hammer when the current owner was trying to sell it.
Tooling needs to be short, I have made spring dies and they work good on 3/4 inch stock. Also I suggest being careful on using tooling to be sure the hammer will cycle or it will get jammed and that is a little scary. (Trust me, it will get locked in tight and may fly out in an unpredictable path)

On the 4B Nazel Sam is refering to, Yoder removed the dies, the oiler AND THE CUSHION PLUG. The guides were brand new and made from hardened tool steel. They had badly damaged the ram that is now thankfully rebuilt. The guide ring was overheated during a bad repair making the casting extremely brittle. That ring has been rebuilt using a steel ring that will be at least as strong as new.

This hammer has now had considerable renovation and is close to going together.

It was painted nice and pretty and sold for $5500 from Yoder on ebay.

Buyer beware!!!