I Forge Iron

Very newbie here

Diablowrym

Like to say "Hi all"
I'm in the SCA and am able to use a forge and blacksmithing tools on the third sunday of each month. Really doesn't match my schedule. Can any tell me where in southern cal. I can find some used equipment cheap? I've looked on ebay and other sites, but can't find anything close and shipping cost more than the product. :o
Right now I have no equipment. I'm going to do some casting, but mainly want to do knife/sword making. Any help would be great.

Point

Diablowyrm (interesting name... Devil dragon?) You can make most of the tools you need to give Smithing a go, and hammers and such can be bought or found pretty cheap. For a start look at the Blue Prints section of the site. You'll find how to's on making a forge, and most of the tools too from junk. For an anvil look for a big chunk of railway line or anything else of suitable mass. It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.
There are a few WORLD CLASS knife and sword makers who post and contribute here, so do yourself a favour and do some research first, then you can ask educated questions. You WILL get educated answers (even to the odd 'bone' question :D)

Welcome aboard!

D W
For myself half of the interest and challenge of this fine profession /hobby
is making the forge and tools for yourself there are many web sites out there with plans on building and tips on tuning gas forges as well as building a good old coal/coke burning forge...... OH YEAH GEE WIZZ I FERGOT !!!
This is one of them !!!!........(pun intended here of course !) The satisfaction of making something usefull out of stuff that to most is junk is a feeling hard to describe. Just ask all of us here what you need to know and answers will flow unto you rapidly from all directions....I gotta use one of our most respected senior members quote here as it fits perfectly...

THE TOOLS DONT MAKE THE BLACKSMITH
THE BLACKSMITH MAKES THE TOOLS

Ya cant say it much better than that !!