I Forge Iron

Hello From Beautiful Ben Wheeler, Texas.

PMayne

Hello Everyone, My name is Patrick and I am "kinda" new to the forum. I was actually here when the site was started and enjoyed it greatly but life came in between me and all of my hobbies. I met many great people thorough this website as well as Anvilfire and I am hoping to get back in contact with some of them. Several years ago I asked a "friend" to store all of my equipment (forge that was handmade for me by a wonderful gentleman named Jim, an old Peter Wright anvil, all the tongs I had made, the fire tools that were my first pieces that I made at Joe Rolfe's hammerin many years ago, hammers, just basically everything) and they sold them out from under me. With friends like those right, lol. But anyways, I have been slowly working myself back into smithing and have just completed a "makeshift" coal forge that I built out of a brake rotor and some old angle iron off of a bed frame. Total cost, nothing. Pictures to follow as soon as I get one coat of high heat paint on the frame. If there is anyone is in my area that would like to get together I would love it. I am currently looking for another anvil, the RR rail I'm using is just not cutting it, and also if anyone in the area knows a good source for coal that is closer than Ft. Worth or Conroe I would appreciate it. I have been looking to no avail. I am about to start on my first gas forge also. There are a few people that I would love to get back into contact with and I hope to hear from them soon so we can settle up on some long past due issues. It is a pleasure to meet you all in advance and I look forward to many good conversations. Take care Everyone.

Patrick Mayne

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it and becoming a member of the Saltfork Craftsman group is something I had thought about. They are an amazing group of talented people, though it has been many years since I have met or spoken with any of them. Take care.

I'm just east of Longview, 1:15 hrs from you. Ft Worth is the closest coal source sorry to say. I get mine from Robb Gunter out in NM but that is when we go out there to see our oldest son and GRANDson. YOu going to Joe's this year? it is the weekend of April 14. I am doing a demo here in Longview for the Gregg Co. Hist. Museum that day or I would be going. I was there a few yrs back and it was great. We have a group, Southeast Region of Saltfork, that meets in Paris, TX on the first Sat each month. My work doesn't allow me to get up there as much as I would like but they have some good meeting. From what I have heard the North Texas BA has improved greatly from what it was in the past. Better meetings and more attending and they are open to suggestions for change!

If you ever want to do a little drive you are welcome at my shop. I normally work 4/10s so Fri. and Sat. are usually open. BTW, goo to have ya back! and looking forward to seeing some of your work

Welcome back Patrick, good to hear from you. I had pretty ugly luck with an associate some years ago but won't go into it except to say I know the or a similar feeling.

Let me know if you have questions about making a gasser.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome. Thomas I may head out your way sometime in the future when i can. I get that way fairly often. Frosty thanks for the offer for help on the gasser, I'm probably going to need it. I am going to post a piece pic of my homebuilt forge in that section as soon as i get finished up with it and I plan on doing a step by step build with pictures on that one. I'm thinking an old propane tank, any suggestions. (Not trying to get off topic in this section) Thanks again guys.