I Forge Iron

Mouse Hole

I have an Armitage Mouse Hole anvil, I think it is about 125 pounds, as I can pick it up by myself. I was woundering about how much is it worth? It has a lower spot in the middle of the face where it has been used, and it does show that is has been use. The sides have osme chips and are rounded not sharp but it is old it was my great grand fathers and grandfathers, and great uncles before it was given to me. Thanks for the responces Tyler.

You'll have better luck getting opinions if you post pics. I recently bought the same anvil (& weight) in good shape (just needed a good cleaning with a wire wheel to know what I actually had) & paid $1.50 lb for it, which I was fine with. Other than that, I'll defer to the more knowledgable members.

Pictures are really a must, think of it like a car---if the ad says "some body damage" that could mean anything from a couple of door dings to complete totaling!

However if it's in usable shape then the minimum price is US$1 a pound and the max for *pristine* condition is probably around $3 a pound. There is a "bonus" in that the 90-125# anvils are more sought after due to their being easy to move.

Note that your anvil probably isn't "old" as anvils really need to be made in the 1700's before they are considered to have a bonus for age. Most of us are using anvils at least 100 years old, 150 year old anvils are fairly common and I have one made in 1828 I still use. *Condition* is what users are most interested in!

there is a great book about mousehole forge written by Mr Postman I have read it and it is very interesting. I will look up your anvil when I get home this evening to help date it for you as far as weight there should 3 different numbers on the face of the anvil and it is British stone weight . Seeing its family history I do not think you can place a value on it unless all you are looking to do is sell it. They are a very well made anvil.