I Forge Iron

NC Tool Forge Question

carlp

I'm a noob. Yesterday I scored this forge. I can't identify the model. It just says NC Tool Model 2 #784. Is it a Whisper Mama with a back door?

Also, I have no idea if it needs to be relined or if it's ok to use as is. The sides and top seem to be original material, but the floor has bricks on one side and rocks on the other. Any advice?

post-24421-0-97008700-1330149788_thumb.j

post-24421-0-44981300-1330149808_thumb.j

Why not just call NC Tool?, I have relined mine with the reline kit they sell and they are very helpfull on the phone and ship things out right away. Your lower brick apears to be half gone and either its a very old forge or someone has replaced the insulated door. send those pics to NC Tool and let them advise you what your options are for getting it back to a good forge that will help your forge for years.

NC forges do not have insulated doors. I have the NC with no ports, just the front opening and it serves me well. I have used others that I like better but got a heck of a good deal on this and just could not pass it up. I am considering cutting ports in both sides for a pass-through...NC sell on with these with the back door....think it's called the Whisper Daddy. Like Jeremy K said, give NC a call, they are good folks and will get you going and it will be done right.

My 2 burner whisper momma has an insulated door, with an access opening for your stock. The door opens "up" for full access to the inside of the forge. It was new from NC Tool that way. - Stock item.

It appears as CarlP's forge is a "whisper deluxe" - a shoers forge(this model just has a steel plate for the door).

Mine is a whisper momma (with an insulated door) as shown in second forge down on this NC Tool link : http://www.nctoolco....es/forges2a.htm

You are correct sir! my bad, mine is the "whisper deluse" also with only the front door. I have a friend that has an older model 'whisper ??' that has the side ports and back door, 2 burners and with the plain steel door. He also has a "whisper ??" that has 5 burners and no doors front or rear. Both forges are ancient!!

If your NC has extra ports then you will have an insulated door, if it is the 'horse shoers' style with only the front door it will be just a plain steel door. I guess with the older ones they didn't use ins. doors........

Mine must be old, modified, or something. It has the back door, but the front door is not insulated. I tried it a few times the last couple days and it just didn't get hot enough. The flames were wispy and only once did it get loud and blow flames out the doors. I was using 1/4 full tanks, and I was advised that's not full enough.

Carl - Take your burner assembly off and blow it out with air and tap it a bit, there may be some rust cloggin the openings up enough to not let the gas through evenly (I have to do this about once a yr maybe). Also try a full tank. Look at the link I posted above and you will see "your" forge pictured. - nothing better than getting info from the maker