I Forge Iron

Brazing in the forge?

I understand the basics of brazing, I have brazing rod, and I have pieces I want to braze. But I've never been able to make it work, either in the forge or with a torch. Basically what happens is it acts like a failed solder joint where it melts but just beads up and doesn't flow, or it flares up and spatters.

So does anyone have any advice on this? As I understand it, it's possible to do this in the forge, and if I can I'd rather do it that way.

Thanks
Nick

Flux! Sounds like you need flux. If you flux both pieces at low heat then drop your cut brazing rod next to the joint, then stick it back in the forge, it will flow where the metal is clean and fill the joint... Same with torch brazing, except if you are using a fluxed rod, then you are not getting the metal hot enough before you try to melt the rod. I don't honestly do much brazing, but you should find it is simple enough once you get the hang of it;-) If you can find a used welding textbook at a garage sale for a couple of bucks and read up on it and get the real technical answer:-)

Sounds like flux to me too. I braze jar caulks and other things to horseshoes in the forge I just put my copper, brass or bronze what ever I have handy around the caulk then flux with 20 mule team, put it in the forge bring it up to where you see it melt pull it out and I set a hammer on it to help pull heat out to set the braze. Be careful with the flux your brazing material will stick where ever it is.

Thanks all. Went into the forge today and tried it again. After a couple failures, I finally got it, and now have 4 good brazed joints. Which means my clock project is back on track, I was kind of stuck as long as I couldn't get the spokes attached to the crown wheel.

Instead of trying to touch the brazing stick to it, I cut pieces off and laid them on the joints. That worked much better.