I Forge Iron

Peter Wright 130#

I came across a perfect Peter Wright 130# for $525. The anvil looks new except for very light surface rust. No dings, nicks, nothing. Not painted. It has a narrow horn, which does not matter to me.

Question being, is that an ok deal or a little high?

Forgive my ignorance, I don't own a proper anvil.

At $4.00p/lb I would say yes, that's high, especially in the NE where bs equipment is easier to find. But I know others will disagree.... I think a lot of folks are pricing their items from what goes on eBay. I bout a William Foster this past spring, the guy was asking $400 and I got it for $100. granted, it wasn't in pristine condition AND he was a little ticked with it as it had slid around in the back of his truck and the horn had knocked a whole in the oil pan of an engine he had back there! :P I think he was glad to be rid of it. I would offer less, $2-2.50 p/lb. The worst he can say is 'No'.

i whole heatedly agree with Thomas, when i sell stuff i but a higher price on it to give room for haggleing as most people do. a lot of people try and sell thee anvils at antique prices, but they have to realize that 99% of us want to use them as a tool not as decorative antique. make and offer you feel comfortable with and if he says no then i doubt any body will buy that anvil at 4$ a lbs, wait a few weeks then hit him again. good luck