I Forge Iron

Lever action 4 1/2" Hartmann vise

Timothy Miller

I got this vise about 2 years ago. I have seen drill press vises like this but never a bench vise. It works by swinging back the lever on the side. It is good for quick repetitive work where you don't need a super strong grip. If you do anything heavy the work will slip a bit. I have found it to be quite useful. I know nothing about it and a goggle search yielded nothing.

post-2348-0-13033700-1328670276_thumb.jp

post-2348-0-18488100-1328670288_thumb.jp

There are several listed in auctions on a Google search. There is also a big luggage firm in Racine named Hartmann Trunk founded in 1905. If they didn't make it directly or under license for their own use, I'd wager it was built in some local manufacturing shop run by a Hartmann family member.

• 4 weeks later...

Why would you post something like this here :D I just spent the last hour drooling on some of the nicest bench vises you could imagine. Now I feel the need to go and count my vises and give them some love and dig a few out of the scrap pile :o