I Forge Iron

Gunnedah blacksmiths

I live in a small town of about 10, 000 having recently moved there, I came across the Gunnedah Museum, mostly agriculture stuff, but absolutely huge, amazing at the amount of tractors and machinery, and it's usually run by volunteers, mostly seniors, which makes me feel young (49).

Got speaking to someone and found that they were wanting to get a blacksmithing group going, so my interest has sparked interest and a group has started.

The guys are all locals, and there is no one they don't know in the town, it's funny listening to them, and they have all had something to do with blacksmithing, so there is a font of knowledge.

We have a forge and blower, and for a novice the amount of heat is amazing, mind you its in the middle of summer here, so that doesn't help. But with local coal mines here we have plenty of good coal handy, took a couple of pics to show us at it.post-9514-0-75158800-1326879082_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-60078100-1326879098_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-61142900-1326879111_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-38865300-1326879143_thumb.jp

It's good to hear that there is another group of smiths geting together. You probably know you've got the NSW Artist Blacksmiths and the Peel River group in Tamworth to network with.
We over in SA wish you the best of luck, and slightly envious you have a ready supply of fuel for your forges. If we can help out anytime, give us a hoy.

Regards,
Rob Kenning
Secretary
Artist Blacksmiths Association South Australia.