I Forge Iron

Fixable?

I must admit the crack is hard to see, yes. If you could please also include a full pic of the vise it would be helpful. PERHAPS if you took a new Sharpie and marked the crack, the contrast would help. This will burn away if repairs are done. I would not use paint pen. Things like this may sometimes be repairable with brazing. Does the vise function as-is ? If so, close the jaws for a pic too please. Then also "lightly" clamp something like a piece of 2 "pipe and perhaps we can shed a light on things in this fashion. Don't put too much stress on it though. Good luck.

Kinda funny place for a crack out in the middle like that. Might be right where the threads end. Need to see both ends of the crack. Back the screw clear out and slide the sleeve out the back of the vise. You would want to drill a hole, maybe 3/16 or so at each end of the crack to keep it from cracking more, even if you decide to braze it. Brazing would be the safest fix but just drilling the holes might be enough.

A friend recently repaired the jaw on a large anvil for me. He took a thin glade on an angle grinder & opened the crack up a bit, pre-heated the area, made a pass with a regular all-purpose welding rod, then a top pass with a hard facing rod. Then laid it, jaws side up on the wood stove for a slow cool down.

Just a suggestion. :)