I Forge Iron

Hammer textured stock

I have recently moved to Utah. I love it here. I have found cheap (large) shop space. I am getting ready to purchase an Anyang 88. I already have a bit of work lined up. I had a customer interested in having 400 feet of one inch square bar hammer textured. Does anyone supply hammer textured bar commercially? I am trying to figure out a general price difference between one inch hot rolled square, and hammer textured one inch square. Trying to put my new hammer to work as soon as possible, but I have a feeling some of the fabricators may require similar services so I want to price it right the first time.
I realize that the only real way to put a price on it is to do the job and figure my time and material per foot. Just wanted to get some experienced opinions on the matter.
Thanks
Brian

Thanks Mark!
Kind of daunting, i am just a guy who loves working metal. I am feeling a bit scared and overwhelmed at the moment. Setting up a shop and trying to make a living has the great potential to either crush my dreams or make me rise to my potential. I am suddenly faced with the fact that i know very little about blacksmithing! Even a very small chance to do what i love and make a bit of coin will be worth it. The start up cost is minimal and i keep telling myself (to try to keep the pressure at bay) that i can always keep the shop as a hobby and pick up odd jobs elsewhere if things get tough.
Nuge,
I grew up in Park City. Heber is close by, and still seems to have the small town feel. Unfortunately it is most likely to be a dusty christmas. Not much snow. Alta is an amazing place to ski or snowboard! I am hoping for some big storms. I ski patrolled at Park City a long time ago, that year was a record snow year, i was lucky to be on avalanche patrol a bunch!
Brian

Brian,
Because you have exposed and committed yourself to make a living in a new geographic area, now would not be the time for people who care that you will be successful to hold back on suggestions that may help you run, skip, hop, walk, and if necessary to crawl over the hump of success.

I believe if you win, we all win.
So without worrying about if any of my suggestions sound corny or trite, I will give you my ideas of how to stimulate the area as to let them know about you and your business.

I am aware of the nature of the area (Rural / Horse country) you live in pretty well.
I will give you my ideas about how you may put yourself on the map so you would be known by the Equestrian community.

You must turn into a business man. Think business, do business.
You have got to beat your own drum at first. As people see what you can do, then they will beat the drum for you.

There are many horses, and people who love their horses out where you live now.
I also know there are many farriers in that area also. Some that are well known and have established them self’s with the bulk of the market in your area.
That aspect of the Equestrian business I would leave to them.

To get some immediate exposure into the horse people crowd (equestrians),
try to find a “Barn Hardware” job as soon as you can.
It worked for me. I did a small job on a barn. Other horse people seen it and liked it.
First thing I knew I was in enough demand that I realized I had learned how to open that door. But my old body was not willing and I had to turn down work.

Once you get started with your foot in the door, first thing you know builders, and architects will be at your door wanting you to do work in homes. That was my experence in "MY Day" -_-

Make sure you make and keep organized and accurate notes coupled with templates of everything you do.
Consider making jigs as you go so that it will help speed up production and uniformity!
Photograph your work for show and tell for new customers.
In time, time will be your enemy or your friend, depends on how you prepare and use it.

Once the door is opened by quality work it tends to generate more work by its self.
We have had blacksmiths from out here offered jobs in that area. One job I knew of would have taken two blacksmiths over a year to complete working full time.
Problem was the distance they would have to travel to get there over Daniels Canyon in the winter.
I would suggest that you also do some welding as an aspect of your business.
Many customers I used to have felt comfortable asking me to do a small welding job for them once in a while.
I believe it is good customer relations, especially in the small area where you now live.

Well I got that off of my chest, so now I will turn in!
I wish you the best of luck, and I have no doubt that you will find your nitch!
If you do find a nitch, take plenty of vitamins “B” and “C”. :P
Ted Throckmorton
Duchesne Utah

Thank you so much Ted! I already have quite a few contacts in the area since I grew up in Park City. I have already been asked to do some work for some folk who are building here and their builder and designer are elated that some one is nearby to do metalwork.

(null)