I Forge Iron

toasted or no

macbruce

As told yesterday in ''shop brain fade'' I likely toasted my lathe motor......I got the mtr out and disassembled but I'm not quite sure I'm testing the field right.

test 1 shows me checking for continuity between the wires and frame, there is none. Good, I think...

test 2 shows testing between the steel slotted thing inside the field and there is continuity between it and the frame....Good or bad??

post-15096-0-42310800-1324244531_thumb.j

post-15096-0-59750600-1324244583_thumb.j

Both are fine. Sometimes, when a motor burns out, it gets continuity between the windings and frame. Also, sometimes a winding goes open, or the capacitor burns out. Does the motor hum and not start, or does it just sit there and draw no current?

The breaker blows before it gets that far.....There may be a prob with the mag starter. I tried continuity between the windings and frame and that was ok...Should the mag starter stay engaged w/o the mtr., cause it don't....?

I just did some more checking on the starter alone....I turned it on and there was a flash and it blew the breaker....Maybe that mtr ain't ready for jam after all....

All's well that ends well.....Aside from 12-14 hrs to fix it no harm done to the mtr.......When I grounded the welder to the mtr mount plate the welding current didn't go as planed, not through the frame but through the wiring, duh....The wires inside the j box to the windings were crispy but were redeemed with shrink tube, a lot of it....The wires in the conduit were as they say, TOAST. It even roasted off some of the galv, koff, koff........Another lesson learned.... <_<

post-15096-0-78914900-1324421245_thumb.j