I Forge Iron

The Eighty Four Forty Four

macbruce

A late blacksmith/train nut buddy of mine took this pic near the CO/WY border early one Jan. morning around 1973 as the 8444 sped toward Denver bringing down big shots from Cheyenne to the Denver Stock Show, was -13f or so!...(train nut)
I can still picture Steve looking like ''Kenny'' from ''South Park'' nipping on a flask of schnapps,camera ready, with his eyes glued to the horizon........

The 8444 is the oldest locomotive still commissioned by the Union Pacific RR.

post-15096-0-22041100-1324140624_thumb.j

From a more elegant age.

Also a much more dirty one and I just love electricity and don't want to go back to coal myself. (except for my forge)

Stopped a while ago at Cullinan while Friends of the Rail had their steam locomotive there on a corporate run and spend some time talking to the driver who was busy oiling everything with a big oil can. Interesting how very crude and chunky everything is compared to modern stuff.

Ah macbruce, you bring back fond memories!
I had the pleasure of hopping this train as it came out of its home in the Hunter Point Ship Yard in San Francisco. You know, the old Hobo style- run along beside and jump on... I road it for 5-6 blocks as it did its test run. After, I was invited back into the shipyard to take a look at the rest of the cars in the yard...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi6aKUzHheI&feature=related
Trains- what fun!
Thanks for posting and... Sorry about your friend-