I Forge Iron

Looking to buy a decent anvil.

Hi. I'm new to ifi, and plan on joining ms forge council soon. I have an old anvil weighing about 70#. Was in really bad condition but came with a crank champion blower which I have restored with a grinder wire brush. I have also done a little work on the anvil as it wasn't useable in its previous state. (I'll post pics.) I'd really like to find a heavier anvil with a harder face this one is really soft. Maybe mild steel name is "southern" on the foot. Previous owner says both are at least 80 years old. Anyone near north Mississippi know where I can find a reasonably priced anvil with good rebound?

You will probably find a good anvil when you go to Mississippi Forge meetings. If not come to the Batson Blade Symposium the First weekend in April. There are good tail gate sales there. If I haven't sold the Trenton 141# I have it will be there.

The third weekend in May the Appachalian Area Chapter Blacksmiths will be having their conference in Murfreesburo, Tn., then the Alabama Forge Council has their conference near Birmingham the first weekend after Labor Day and Quad State Roundup will be the forth weekend in September. All of these conferences have good tail gate sales but Quad State is by far the best.