I Forge Iron

Resource for Getting Hardwood Ash?

gabeh

Hi all,

I'm in the beginning stages of building a small charcoal forge. The design I've ultimately decided on is one of Tim Lively's concepts as seen here on dfoggknives.com;
http://www.dfoggknives.com/charcoal_forge.htm

This is going to be a new undertaking for me on a few levels, however, and the first obstacle is making the adobe for the shell. One of components needed is hardwood ash and, as it turns out, it's proving harder to find than I would have thought. I don't have a place to do any burning right now and it seems that everyone I know - family, friends and even co-workers - are suburbanites using a gas furnace for heat just as I am. I've tried contacting fireplace and stove shops in the area to see if they demo wood burning stoves and if they'd mind letting me collect some ashes but they probably all think I'm bananas seeing as no one has responded. Heck, I'm willing to pay for it.

To get to the point, does anyone here have any suggestions for where else I might seek out hardwood ash? I'm not sure what other type of shop or business might produce the stuff these days and, surprise surprise, no one's advertising it on craigslist! I live in Northern Colorado (Greeley, specifically) so if anyone is in the surrounding area and may know of a local resource that would be great but at this point I'd be tickled pink with general suggestions, as well.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe try putting an ad on Craigslist, that you are in need of it, and willing to haul away the ash for free. Someone may have a pile, but it is hard to say, wood ash is not that difficult to dispose of when you live in a rural area.
You may also want to look at just piling up some wood in a BBQ grill and let it burn down, if nothing else. You should be able to do that even living in a suburban area, I would think. For a larger, commercial source, find a Pizzaria or Bakery in your area that advertises that they use real brick ovens, most are gas fired, but you may find one that uses wood.

You don't need the ash. Really. If you want to add insulating value, a little perlite or vermiculite from the garden store will do fine, and even that is optional. I am pretty sure Tim would tell you the same. (I only know Tim via the Net, but he got me started in smithing and he's a long-time visitor to a forum I help moderate.) If you are desperate to include wood ash, find someone with a wood stove or fireplace.

Thanks for all of the responses! Thomas, I am aware of that but I can't find any for sale locally. I've checked WalMart here, Lowes, some home and garden stores to no avail. Not sure if I live in a black hole of smithingphobes or what but it's been a frustrating quest.

Matt, I didn't realize I could use those materials as substitutes. I've tried my hand at searching for various ways to make adobe but it seems mostly for sustainable building purposes and the instructionals have all been very puritanical with no mention of those additives. That will make things much easier since it looks like I have a few sources for both of those materials.

Grizzer, I responded to your PM. I appreciate all of the help and information guys. I'll post up pics when the forge is up and running - hopefully the construction will be finished by next weekend.