I Forge Iron

Hey yall!

cocobitzz

It's been a few years since I've been active in the world of metallurgy, but a friend and I got to talking about smithing and it rekindled my flame -pun intended. I recently moved from Anacortes, WA to Whitefish, MT and something about the fresh rocky mountain air and beautiful countryside just brings out my creative side.

I have no idea how I'm going to go about this since I have no property of my own, nor any friends who would be willing to let me set up a forge, but where there's a will there's a way! I just wanted to drop in and say howdy to everyone and let 'em know that there are still kids out there that want to keep the trade going. It's not very often you come across 20 year olds that want to forge there own products.

Hope all is well for everyone in the world of blacksmithing!

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! You would be surprised. There are several members here that are younger than 20 or that started when they were youger and still going. And they are putting out a nice product too. Let me suggest that you find a propane forge, they are compact and don't make smoke or smell that a coal forge does. Or you can use charcoal instead and everyone will think you are just grillin steaks! :P There are tons of information on this site, just let someone know where you are so the authorities can have an idea where to look for ya....yeah, it's that big. Anyhow, welcome and enjoy.

I have actually built a propane forge from scratch before, it was a great project I did in high school. For now I will just be starting out basic, picked up a brake drum earlier for free, got some scrap angle iron around and some 1/4" sheet to build a frame for it. I'm well on my way, like I said it has been a few years, but I used to go to ABANA conventions in monroe, and have done a decent bit of time playing around.