I Forge Iron

Metallurgical coke

I got a deal on this stuff and now that I am on my last two bags, I thought I would ask if anybody had tips on using or lighting this. I find it much more trouble than good old bituminous coal/coke. Even the clinker is harder to deal with. Lighting it, I have had to use briquettes or wood. Any benefits to using this that I am missing?
Robert

The only advantage that I have seen is that if you need to start a fire from scratch, you don't have to endure the process of coking out the green coal.

If I have plenty of coke from my last coal fire, I would prefer the standard coal fire.

Seems like the pure coke will go out if you spend too much time between heats with no air.

I have noticed myself that not all coal is created equal. Not to hijack your thread but I started buying it a couple towns away from me. It's Donson coal (nut coal) and then I found out the sand and gravel place up the street from me sells coal but it's a different brand and I have a hard time lighting it and also keeping it burning.... I have wasted more time trying to light my forge than I can believe. I was using sticks and newspaper because it's cheap but have been using cedar shingles because they burn nice and hot with the blower on of course, but sometimes that doesn't even help. Last resort was using the acetylene torch but both the shingles and the torch cost money... I still don't understand the pre-made coke thing either, all I know is it's coal and it burns..... thanks for reading....

You also have to be careful that the coke doesn't burn out if unattended. You need to put a piece of wood in the center and get it burning before leaving it for 10 minutes or more. Some of what I've used was too large and I had to use a hammer to break it up. Hard stuff! I still like good coal better.

I had been told about that wood trick to keep a fire. The old timers would pound a hard wood into the fire. I never really understood that as my forge will keep a fire for over three hours idle time with out any prep at all. All I need is some air flow and the fire comes alive again.