I Forge Iron

Metal detector

qwerksc

I think that is how it started. I got a metal detector to look for treasure and such and I just didn't realize what kind of metal I was looking for. I've been building things,creating projects out of wood metal ceramic, all kinds of junk. Got a wild hair about casting, built a foundry, a freon tank forge, piece of rr track. thought I'd make some knives. Well all this led me to taking a Blacksmithing class thru CBA @ Freedom Forge. Been at it a few months and am really enjoying it. Live in Santa cruz ca. Looking for tools always,need a post vise, anvil, some sort of square grinder would be nice. I figure I got a few good years left to learn something. Carpenter by trade. I'm stuffing myself with so much from here, I thought I'd better say Hey after lurking for months. And say thanks for such a great site. Look'n forward to a future in smithin'.
Mark

Welcome.

I got into blacksmithing plus or minus 10 years ago. Last year I used some of my "knife & iron" stash to buy myself a detector (Garrett Ace 250). I haven't made any notable finds yet, but I really enjoy getting out and searching anyway. I have found some decent pieces of wrought to add to the scrap pile.

Good to have you on board.

Don

Heidi- Ho neighbor I am in Salinas, I know Kirk form CBA events. I have a shop at my house if you feel like stopping by sometime, I maybe able to help you in finding some tools also. I have recently gotten into metal detecting as well but I need a better one (of course)

Metal detecting is an excellent hobby, been doing it for 35 years. I primarily relic hunt now but started out combing the boulevards of my home town with a $25.00 machine I ordered from Montgomery Wards. Found a few silver coins and wheat pennies but was hooked for life. I think blacksmithing has had that effect on many people too and I'm sure I will succumb to it very soon. Welcome fellow treasure hunter.