I Forge Iron

The Ring Bit: History, Form & Function

Frank Turley

The Ring Bit: History, Form & Function
Donald Minzenmayer
ISBN 978-0-7643-3887-8
189 pp + an Afterword
Schiffer Publications Ltd. info@schifferbooks.com

This is a new book (November, 2011), letter sized, full of photos, some in color, and a good text. The author talks about a bridle bit style, a bit that is not used much anymore in the U.S. The bit has an iron ring integral with the port of the mouthpiece, and the ring encircles the horse's lower jaw. It acts as a curb, whereas most modern curb bits have a leather strap or small flat chain fitting in the horse's chin groove.The book shows much research and took several years to complete.

I met the author in 2006 when I demoed at Oldenburg, Texas, for the Houston Area Blacksmiths Association. He included a couple pages of color photos of me forge welding a small ring to dimension. I used 3/8"D mild steel.

There are numerous photos of antique and early bits as well as some currently made bits, several of which are works of art. An exquisitely made ring bit by contemporary bitsmith, Mark Dahl, is on the front and back covers (hard back). I recommend the book to horsey people, but also to those who want to see some incredible iron and steel workmanship.