I Forge Iron

Mississippi newbee

Turner

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike Turner and live in Meridian, MS.
I am a total newbee to blacksmithing. I recently received an anvil and a portable forge and tools from my brother-in-law. They were his dad's and after his Dad passed away he wanted me to have them. I have been interested in blacksmithing for some time now but didn't have the money to invest in a good set-up. Well, now I have no excuse...... I have the tools. I plan to join the Mississippi Forge Council if they will have me and hope to learn from the experience of the members. I look forward to meeting some local blacksmiths soon. As I understand there are a couple of members close to me.
I have enjoyed browsing this site and have become inspired by the beautiful creations some of the forum members have posted.

Best regards to all,

Mike

I saw a cast iron forge crack with a LOUD POP on the very first fire. I do not know the reason but ask several others who offered the following advice.

Build any first fire in the forge as a small fire from wood and so it is NOT a hot fire. The second fire should be hotter but not at forging temps. The reason I am told, is being that the metal needs to dry out, relieve stress and accumulate. It was also suggested to put the forge in the oven at 250*F for several hours for the same reasons.

A couple of fires is a very small investment. Others may have different ideas so let the discussion begin. (grin)

Thanks for that comment Glen.

YES, let the discussions begin. I don't want to tear this forge up with my first fire!

When we dumped the coal out I noticed there is clay in the bottom of the forge. Will the clay hold moisture also? I just figured the clay acted as an insulator to keep the heat off the cast iron.

:unsure:

yes and yes.

The clay is an insulation to keep the heat of the fire from the forge. Ash is used much the same way in other forges. Read the discussions already posted on the site, it has been covered before, and comes up often.

Brian Brazeal is in MS. Look him up and see if you two can get together. Look up his posts on IFI for a treasure of information.

• 2 months later...