I Forge Iron

Blue print for an air gate?

Blacksmith Jim

When I finally joined the 20th century and got the power blower, I built this airgate. Pretty simple. Scrapped 3 "cyl tube. Chopsaw almost all the way through. Make a disc to fill the slot ( 12 ga ) and leave a place for a hinge and to attach the handle. Rest is pretty much self explanitory. Scrapped downdraft furnace blower ( now 5 years old in my shop ). Blower runs off a toggle switch on the forge and blower runs full blast. Airgate controls it all.

1709.attach

1710.attach

Thanks for the info guys!

One of my buddies has a decent chop saw that I could use to cut a pipe like that. I'll keep my eye out.

Can Aluminum give off bad fumes if it gets hot? Not that it should that close to the fan I guess... Ordering one might be just as easy as scrounging a pipe though :)

A good source of tubing for this is a drive shaft from a pickup truck. They are heavy enough to weld on the tab that the pivot bolt goes through and a mounting flange on the blower end if needed. Some drive shafts have a layer of stuff sprayed inside of them to deaden any sound/harmonic vibration. Easy to burn out. If you don't have a welder the pivot point can be made with a piece of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" angle iron about 3/4" long and clamped to the tube with a muffler clamp (best) or a hose clamp.

That is a quick and slick way to make one Ten. The one that I fabbed was similar to the ones in the link that I posted and a lot more work. I was using it on an old belt driven forge blower at the time. I don't use an airgate though anymore as I went to an old Buffalo electric blower about 20 years ago, controlled by a rheostat. I really like the control of the rheostat. I use an on/off switch wired in ahead of the rheostat so that I can just flip the blower off and on without changing speeds drastically as I go to the anvil and then back to the forge.