I Forge Iron

My latest and a personal best!

Altusjg

Here are some pics of my latest knife. I had a couple firsts on this one. First knife with bolsters and my first time dealing with synthetics for handle material. Some Specs:
blade steel: 5160
quench: x3 in canola oil
temper: @350 x2 cycles
Guard and pins: SS
Handle: black G10 (woven cloth fiberglass composite)
The blade is 3 3/4" X 1 5/8" . The overall length is 7 1/2". The handle was sanded down to 1500gritt and wiped down with a wax coating to help bring out the shine. I think this one is a personal best for me and i learned a good bit during the under taking. Thanks for looking!!

post-18517-0-54194400-1316998661_thumb.j

post-18517-0-15932300-1316998674_thumb.j

post-18517-0-64808800-1316998684_thumb.j

Thanks Guys.

Phil- i brought the blade down to 1500gt and in the light of my shop i didnt see any lines. After your comment i went back to inspect it and yes i can see some faint lines in the blade especially in the glare of the light. Guess i'll have to bring it back to the table. I really need to get a buffing wheel and a good compound to use. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sorry to disappoint Phil but all in all i'm personally very satisfied with this blade. I'll definately be going back to get the lines out as this is a birthday present for a very good friend and i want it to be right. Thanks again for looking and the comments.

Thanks for the input Mr. Jimmy. The lines on that blade are insignificantly shallow and very very fine. I think a quick buffing would take them right out but i unfortunately do not currently have a buffing wheel. So i will go back and start at maybe 1000gt and work back up to 1500gt to get them out. I can indeed see myself in the blade currently and i'm usually satisfied with that myself but Phil had to go and point out the lines ;) . Just kidding Phil. Thats why i like this site. Most here are not only willing to part with a wealth of information but are also willing to call you on your short comings and in doing so help you to be a better blacksmith/bladesmith in the end. Thanks again!