I Forge Iron

National Supply Company Anvil

An Anvil followed me home friday. some research indicates it is a National Supply Co. made in Toled Ohio. Can anyone tell me more about the Company and possibly the timeframe of production for this company. The anvil has the #15 on the base under the horn and about 2-3 inches of the horn broken off, I plan to reweld the missing part of the horn. As for cost I traded a couple of Elk Sheds for it.

Thanks Dodge. that was all i could find as well. I cant actually read the "National" part. All I Can actually make out is "upply Co Toledo Ohio" the rest has been "Beat Down " I don't know why someone would be hammering on the anvil below the waist. i just "Googled" anvils made in Toledo Ohio and National came up. that's what i was going off of. any other Ideas? Thanks again. Dave

Some pictures of the anvil can help to identify it.
Is it a forged anvil? It will have handling holes if it is forged (usually 3 of them one on the bottom of the anvil, one on the front foot and one in the back side under the heel)
It is possible that your anvil was made by one of the big manufactures and the marking is from a hardware store and their name was displayed.
Is there a marking on the front foot?

A few years ago a business located along the Maumee river sold off some power hammers, supposedly used in part for building anvils. I was just starting to research wanting to get into blacksmithing, and missed it all.

This was a few months before I signed up for IFI, so it was probably in '08. I have no idea what was in the sale, but I recall hearing about it. This is all 3rd (or Nth) hand information, so...big grain of rock salt.

Phil

• 3 years later...

Committing some thread necromancy here, but this is the only one I saw regarding National Supply Company Anvils.  Currently on ebay there is a ~150 lb. anvil for sale that the owner is calling an ATION anvil:

nationalsupplyanvil.thumb.JPG.6932dd501c

sideways.thumb.JPG.dd9c98cfc1c2d51e48028

foot.thumb.JPG.78541825ee241afd485782de6

15foot.thumb.JPG.b903069d658b1339ea0b2cd

Clearly this looks to be a fabled National Supply Co. anvil, and I'll concur that there is very little information on the internet about them.  The stamps would lead me to believe it's a cast iron body.  From the photos and from the abuse to the face, I'm theorizing it's probably somewhere between a Fisher and Vulcan anvil in terms of quality?  Also, are those chips in the side in danger of being delaminated already? 

this looks exactly like my anvil except my anvil has no visible markings on it other then a 4 on the bottom (underneath the actual base) and a sort of "daisy shape" on the waist but that could have been added by who ever owned it before me as it could have been done with any ol center punch.the only things i know "for sure" about my anvil is that is a three piece anvil and it has been welded/repaired on the face because there are spots that wont rust,they just remain bright.but yeah mine has the same "fat horn and heel" and is supposed to be in the 80-90lb range according to the smith i bought it from.