I Forge Iron

Anvil Stand for 30" of railroad track?

A couple timbers (2x4 or bigger) and some large U bolts. I expect you plan to replace this with a different anvil at some point, so durable but not permanent is the idea.

Phil

It's my second anvil - anvil #1 is a london pattern anvil of unknown make and is securely chained to a stump. This one will be used for demonstrations and for when my son is hogging anvil #1 (we all should have such problems).

i am also looking for a Railroadtrack stand but i have the feeling that concrete would make my neigbours ("house-in-a-row") upset with the noise.
I do have a 40x40cmX1,3m (1x1x4 feet?) hard-solid piece of wooden beam to use but i dont know how best to "strap" the roadtrack to the head of this beam.
Anyone here having some suggestions to get it nailed down without having to drill a hole through a railroadtrack? (would be a pain for the drill(s) and time i'm afraid)

The bottom web should drill just fine, it won't be work hardened, but will be tough.

You can use U-bolts or band clamps around the whole thing, or you can forge some strap (say 1/4 x 1 hot roll) to make something that can have the slack taken up with a couple 1/2 inch nuts and bolts.

Phil

• 2 months later...