I Forge Iron

Wood lathe for handle making

PhoenixForger

I know it's not metal, but i need a wood working lathe to make handles and decorative additions to my iron work. At most I think I'll be turning about two feet of wood. I'd like to know some brand names, features to look for, and a decent price range for a first lathe.

Thanks in advance for all replies and critiques. :D

I rebuilt an older Rockwell/Delta 10 inch wood lathe, as the parts were still available from (now called) Delta/PortaCable. Grizzly seems like a good brand. I would not recommend Sears because I purchased a set of powertools from Sears when we purchased our first house and the Sears powertools were in my humble opinion garbage as they were poorly made and quickly fell apart. Yes, I know that the tablesaw was made by Delta, but they make/made different grades of tools, some better some not. I then replaced the table saw with a Powermatic table saw. Powermatic is a very durable brand. I have not had any problems with my Powermatic stationary tools in the over 20+ years that I have had them.

If you are just making wood handles, you could also consider using a metal lathe at a slower speed. A metal lathe can turn both wood and metal.

Actually IIRC my high school wood shop experiences, wood is turned at a much higher speed than metal so a metal lathe can do both. There is at least one member here that does exactly that with beautiful results! ;) On the other hand, a typical wood lathe doesn't have the power or structural strength to double as a metal lathe.

Scott