I Forge Iron

Tongs

toaster120

OK. Those pieces are short enough that you'll need to grasp them with tongs. A 16"x3/8" V-bit will hold 1/8" or 1/4" nicely. If you want to grab 1-1/4" stock on edge then get a pair of 18"x1-1/4" V-bits. Also, you might get by with a pair of 18"x1" and be able to use them for 1" stock, too.

I am just getting into black smithing and I'm looking for a set of tongs. I'll be working on metal roughly 1/8th to 1/4th flat bar for now. Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks!!

I just started and with a little effort I was able to make a pair. The first effort was crude, and I went back and re made them the next day with more thought. It seems the perfect place to start. Seems a shame to buy your first pair, the satisfaction will never be on the same level.

I just started and with a little effort I was able to make a pair. The first effort was crude, and I went back and re made them the next day with more thought. It seems the perfect place to start. Seems a shame to buy your first pair, the satisfaction will never be on the same level.

Say what? yosemite_sam-logo-552BB0076C-seeklogo.co

Not sure that I would want to spend two days making something that I can buy for around 25 bucks.

Obviously the INITIAL investment of time is large, but I know that with time you can and indeed will get fast enough to make them for LESS than it would cost you to by them.( LOL Sorry Grant.)

I think it depends how you value your time. I find tong-making very tedious (although I enjoy watching Grant's tong-making videos -- I wouldn't find it quite so tedious if I had all those cool toys to play with). I'd rather do something else with the limited time I have at the forge. But making your own is definitely a valuable learning experience.

To add something on point, I'll say that I don't love V-bits for holding flat stock. Box jaws aren't nearly as versatile as v-bits, but I do find that the former give a much better grip on flat bar. A little slop in the fit isn't that big a deal, so 1/4"x1-1/4" box jaws would probably do fine for you.