I Forge Iron

Riveting armor

Hello all!

I'm working on a crusader greathelm (http://www.arador.com/construction/greathelm.html). Now, for anyone who has made armor, or even just riveted two plates together:

How far in should I drill/punch the holes for riveting? Obviously I want the helm to fit, but I don't want to stress the metal and have it break.... I think I use 3/16 inch diameter nails as rivets. Is there a general rule of thumb?

If this will be used in combat check the rules for the group you will be fighting with on rivet size, spacing and placement. I assume you have already checked on metal thickness with them.

If it will be only for display I'd suggest putting them midway in the overlap and space them as looks good to you.

• 4 months later...

yeah that seems to be about right, but if you are going off an original, have a look how far apart they are on it, as they knew what worked! remember, you are not trying to make a boiler! so dont get too caught up in making it watertight.... i generally put 5mm 9head size, not shank size!) round head rivets about 8-10mm from the edge, and about 25mm apart.
i like my rivets to be at least 1 1/2 the thickness of the material. so for a 1.6mm sheet i would use 3mm shank rivets.