I Forge Iron

Name the ASO

Ok, I can't identify it, so I'll ask everyone else...what is this?

anvil_002.jpg
anvil_003.jpg

Yeah, I KNOW it's an anvil. :D ...but is it any good?

It's pretty small, about 65-75lbs, a .750" ball in a plastic tube bounces off the face about 40-45%. The hardie hole is 5/8", the face is almost unmarked, the edges are still sharp.

I rescued it out of the scrap pile at work.

What's the problem? Until the horn falls off and an ill fitting hardy tool splits off the heal its an anvil as good as any I've seen. When the Peter Wright arrives maybe then it will turn into a cast iron lump. How many of us have scored any sort of anvil by just looking in the dumpster.

Scatch all the above... I take it all back, I was just being nice. It is just a cast iron lump...useless really, It's any wonder you found it in the dumpster. I recommend in the strongest terms to return it smartly to said dumpster.

By the way, where exactly is this dumpster and when will you be returning the lump?

Can you make out any markings on that side-plate?

Can you tell if the face is welded on, or cast in one piece?

You may want to get a sander/grinder and put some radius on those edges. At least toward the front (horn) end.

Beat some iron on it... I've used a lot worse :cool:

Nah, the plate is blank, other than the ghost of an outline around the edges of it.

Yep, I plan on beating iron on it. :D I guess the only reason I asked about it was a bit of curiosity...it's my FIRST anvil, after all, it would be interesting to know who made it.

It's been at the shop for at least 12 years, that I know of...sitting around on the floor under one of our steel racks, but it was grimy and a bit rusty when I started working there.

When it was tossed on the pallet for the scrap guy, I claimed it.