I Forge Iron

What kind of coal comes from KY/W.Va.?

I was caught by a passing train in Columbus Oh yesterday. The train was hauling lots of coal cars heading north. I was thinking it would be nice to have a coal car or two of that coal they were hauling. The coal is probably coming up from either Kentucky or W. Va.
What kind of coal do they mine in those states, is it like anthricite coal? Is Ky. / W.Va coal good for forging with? I'm not all that far from either state to be able to get some forge coal.
Curious to know ...........
Ohio Rusty ><>

Looks like you're right on the edge of coal country, but that doesn't mean that you can drive up to any old yard and get good smithing coal. You'll want to let your fingers do the walking and call a few coal yards looking for blacksmithing or metallurgical coal. Expect it to be a good bit more expensive than regular "stoker" coal for heating.

I use Cumberland-Elkhorn Coal and Coke in Louisville, I think they may have other branches.

We buy our coal from a tiple about 10 minutes from the house.We are right in the middle of coal country.I think 3/4 of a ton cost me about $70 last time..To be honest Im not sure of the grade but its good clean coal, dosnt have much clinker at all...Welding is no trouble what-so-ever...I could get it for free but its not worth the aggrevation of cleaning it and busting it to size...