I Forge Iron

Converting a Cast Iron Fireplace

Ironswine

Hello all.

I'm brand new to the forum and relatively new to metalworking. I recently finished highschool, and as a result of that I've lost access to gas (acetylene). I have what I think are the basics; several hammers (ranging from lump to ball-peen), a foot of railroad track gas-cut into an ASO (though it works pretty well I find). I'm just missing a forge.

I have a cast iron (I believe) garden fireplace. It's simple and is essentially a bucket with a grill-gate on the front and a two-foot chimney on the top. Is there any way to convert this thing into a forge even temporarily by retrofitting some sort of bellows?

Thanks for the help!

Leave the chimenea alone and dig a shallow hole, use a pipe to blow air into the side of the coals, possibly burying it in the dirt removed. When you are done, remove the pipe and fill the hole in.

You can use a vacuum, hairdryer, bellows, or some other means to move air to blow into the fire.

Cast iron, clay, or otherwise you will crack the chimenea in very short order due to the high heat of this system.

Phil