I Forge Iron

Vaughan's Anvils

I think they are comparable to other cast steel anvils.... I personally dont care for the bick/horn.... its a little blunt-ish for me... they have a nice sized cutting table and hold up well... If you can buy it right ($670 plus shipping for a new 112lbs seems reasonable to me) I dont think its a bad choice if you want a london pattern anvil... Its a bit more but personally I would save my pennys and get a Nimba... Spending a couple hundred more will get you a few more pounds and an anvil that in my mind is unbeatable in its weight class....

You might contact Steve McGrew of Incandescent Iron Works in Spokane. He is bringing some of his anvils for sale to the Western States Conference Aug. 18,19,20. His also have the blunt point,but are nice double ender anvils. You can find him on the Northwest Blacksmith Assoc.(NWBA) site.

112 lb is okay for a farrier, but is a bit small for general blacksmithing,

Nimbas are certainly good anvils, as are Rhino anvils and Vaughan's anvils.

For a blacksmith, I would recommend the following features in an anvil:

at least 200 lb (on a massive anvil you will move metal faster and your arm will last longer)
a conical horn for scrolling and drawing out
a tapered heel for shaping and riveting
a step for a lot of unexpected uses (This is fairly important. Without it, you'll end up having to make a hardie stake to serve the same purposes, and it won't work as well as a step.)
a 1" hardie hole (has become a standard among blacksmiths; most anvil stakes these days are made for 1" hardie holes)

I have used a lot of anvils over the years and, as most of you know, I rate the Vaughans amongst the best. I currently have a 280 pounder and am very happy with it. On size you need to think what you are going to be doing. If you are going to be doing small work then a small anvil is OK but generally bigger is better. Consider moving it, storing it and the amount of effort in working round a big anvil. These are all considerations and reasons why many blacksmiths have several anvils and use them all for different jobs and roles.