I Forge Iron

An introduction to blacksmithing, please

i'm new to this whole process, and apart from the forge itself, im looking for the general setup that you'd need to build things like swords, axe heads and other weapon replicas and the like.By this I mean tools, and the processes of forging. If it helps Ill be using a solid material forge.

Welcome to IFI. It may help to know where in this world that you are located. We have folks from over 50 countries on here. Add your location to your profile on the left side of the page. you may be suprised to find another smith very close to your location that can help you out. Now for your question. If you do a search, or just read thru the threads in this forum, most of your questions have been asked and answered. I don't mean to cut you short. But a little research on here can help you a bunch. This site is loaded with a lot of great info and a lot of great people. Good luck with getting set up and firing up your forge. Don't forget to post pix of your projects and progress. :D

General questions don't get much response and yours is extremely general. Read the site, read some books (The Complete Modern Blacksmith and The New Edge of the Anvil) will both answer most of your questions and there are many others. Then when you find something you can't understand or master, ask specific questions.

+1 to what arftist said. It's not that we don't want to help, but "teach me everything I need to know" is asking a bit much. I second the recommendation of The Complete Modern Blacksmith; I haven't read the other one. And here's something to get you started:

http://www.webpal.or...acksmithing.pdf (Don't take everything in there -- or any other book -- as holy writ. When it comes to most of what we do as blacksmiths, there are many ways to skin the cat.)

Note that spending one Saturday with a knowledgeable smith can save you a year trying to figure out things on your own from a book or even worse a website!

So if you are around Central New Mexico USA; you're welcome to stop by my smithy some weekend or I'd be happy to introduce you to the South West Artist Blacksmith Association, (of course their Oct 2011 meeting is at my smithy...).