I Forge Iron

arch on door frame?

kgdn56

I have a iron door on my house that I'm trying to make a similar replica. The arch that's on the top of the door is my problem.I need to form an arch out of what is prob square tubing, 16 gauge galvanized steel for a door frame. Any idea how its done. Hand forged or machine? Details would help. I need a really smooth finish?

Do *you* need to do this yourself or do you just need it done?

Do you have the skills and equipment to work this? Remember one trip to the ER can wipe out an immense amount of money saved cause you did it yourself!

Since you don't work galvanized metal hot---(doing so killed a friend of mine)---this would best be done cold probably with hydraulics if the form can't be a section of a rolled arc. Probably a lot easier if it can simply be rolled.

How tight an arch is it?

You may want to alter your profile to give your general location as there may be someone who can do this easily on this forum that lives near to you---this is a world wide forum so if you are in England, Italy or South Africa we have folks there who participate.

I'm not sure how tight the arch is, it doesn't seem like a serious bend at all . I'm not doing the work myself. I gave the job to a company that does railings. They're looking to expand but the man is unsure how to bend it. I assume bec they don't usually deal with bending tubing the likes of a 2x4.

If the company you sent the job off to does not know how to make it for you I am pretty sure you sent your work to the wrong place. I would definitely consider contacting some one different that can briefly tell you how they could make it, then hire them.

• 2 months later...