I Forge Iron

I'm new and looking for a used anvil and equipment

Greetings. I am brand new to blacksmithing. I'm reading quite a bit and watching a lot of videos, but have yet to work with a blacksmith. I have a friend of the family giving me an older hand-crank forge. I just picked up a piece of steel from an old rail car system. I'll have to use that temporarily until I find an anvil. The problem is I'm between jobs and can't afford to spend a ton of money right now on an anvil and equipment. I live in Collinsville, Illinois (east of St. Louis), and have been keeping an eye out for auctions and farm auctions. So far I just have the piece of steel and the forge. I'd really like to get the chance to work side by side with an experienced blacksmith and learn some techniques and tricks. If anyone has advice on where to look for a VERY inexpensive used blacksmith's anvil (150 #) (I don't want a farrier's anvil) or other equipment (apron, hammers, etc), please let me know. Thanks!

Hi David. Welcome to IFI, from East central ILL (Lake Shelbyville). Ask around all of your friends, neighbors, anyone that you strike up a conversation with. Let them know that you are looking for an anvil and you will be suprised at the results. May not be immediate. But you will find one. Use the RR iron that you have now and start working metal. You don't have to have a "real" anvil to get started. A lot of the guys on here use coupling knuckles from a train or peices of track. The main thing is, don't just set there waiting to get a big real anvil to start out. Stan (Trying-it on IFI) is havig a hammer in down southeast of you, near Pinckneyville, later this summer. There will be several smiths there. We always have fun and aways learn something from each other. Contact him and try to make plans to attend. Also, every Tuesday evening at 9 PM central time, join us in the live chat room on this site for the Blue Prints. It's a "how to" session. You will enjoy it. Take care and good luck getting set up. :D

Thanks! I will try and attend that hammer-in. I am planning on going to the Wednesday meet in Carlinville this Wednesday at the Macoupin County Historical Society. I recently learned that a bunch of experienced blacksmiths meet there every Wednesday. Very exciting!