I Forge Iron

Forged 1045 spike hawk

Thanks Josh,don't know what you mean,the head is one piece of 1045--Best Regards Butch

sorry, i was unclear, what i mean it the wat the filing between the eye and blade looks really nice with no fuller in front of the eye
Josh

sorry, i was unclear, what i mean it the wat the filing between the eye and blade looks really nice with no fuller in front of the eye
Josh

Josh,that is one of the hardest things to get right,a lot of time on the belt grinder,and I use the edge of the belt a lot--and I use a 4 1/2"flap disc to start with,they are great for that-Thanks Regards Butch

Butch, can you tell us more about the handle? What kind of wood and finish is that?

The handle is curly maple-I get it as smooth as possible,I use Fiebings dark brown leather dye after sanding then use a propane torch to burn the color off then apply another coat and apply tung oil and rub with fine steel wool til I get the desired color then buff with beeswax....thanks and regards Butch

Nice hawk! How do you apply the beeswax? I just finished a haft for an axe with beeswax. I melted it and applied with a rag and after it dried some I buffed it.

Hi,I use a buffing wheel like you use on a car, on an old motor,load the wheel and lay into it----
Thanks for all the comments---Best Regards Butch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...