I Forge Iron

Demo at Threashers Reunion

Had a great time this weekend smithing for the threashers we had some good and bad weather but we were inside. Made mostly small things crosses, j-hooks, and leaves. The best thing that happened was when a youth came in and started to ask questions and you could tell they want to absorb as much knowledge as they could. After talking to them for a while I invited them to my shop to teach them some things. Their Grand-pa has a forge so once they get the basics down they can play around on his forge and if they need help I'm always around to to give a hand.

I guess after seeing so much garbage happening in our world today it was freshing to see a smile on a young persons face and know that their going to grow up to be a fine citizen in the future.

Eric, Threasher is a piece of farm equipment that ran by steam engine and it seperatered the wheat from the stalks so it could be taken to the mill to be ground into flour. Their was alot of other steam engine equipment there also, mainly to do with farming. Google National Threasher Reunion Wauseon, Ohio to find out more.

• 1 month later...

Not necessarily run by a steam engine, it could be powered by a Horsepower, which is 4-8 horses turning a capspan driving a line shaft that in turn drives the thresher. Sometimes the spindle of the horsepower had a seat and a member of the threshing crew would sit in the seat with a whip to encorage the teams. The line shaft just layed on the ground and the horses would do a little half skip to step over the turning shaft. A horse breeder near where I live breeds Clydesdales, used to be for PMU and for Budweiser, for the local fair they would do a threshing demo, and often he would use the horsepower to run it. For anyone who has not seen a two Threshing Teams race to see who can finish a field first, it is something to see.