I Forge Iron

Forge tuyere grate

pkrankow

So I was unhappy with my grate for my brake drum forge, a sewer drain. I also plan to clay the drum to eliminate the sharp corner and make it easier to remove clinker.

So I also had a brain fart clear and realized that I had some 1/2 inch square and a gas forge. about 20 minutes later (including setup on the driveway and clean up:

post-9443-0-55192700-1308939642_thumb.jp

post-9443-0-53277400-1308939660_thumb.jp

this is brought to you by the letter e and the number 0

Phil

Using an 18oz disposable cup I mixed up 3 parts sand to 1 part Portland (now whatever will I do with the other 93 1/2 pounds of this Portland) and ended up with close to twice what I needed for this 200mm x 50mm brake drum from my Chevy Caviler.

At least I was able to get a busted bag for $1.

I wrapped the grate in a bag because I think I want it removable... maybe? Good idea, bad idea? Doesn't matter?

It seems I did a good job at rounding up the outside as it seems to be only about 1/8 inch out of round as I twist it in place.

Phil

post-9443-0-65318600-1308947965_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it today, and it worked WOW! until I went to clean it. Rake hooked into the grate and pulled it out like NOW! Then my fire dumped down the tue and ash trap...then I had to use a rod to clean the tue because it is only 1 1/2 inch diameter...Oh the comedy!

I guess I need some stove cement or something to put the grate down permanent-like.

I am out of portland because the broken bag I bought broke more so I spread it into the gravel of the driveway.:( It was already mostly spread when the bag finished giving out.

Phil