I Forge Iron

questions on metal

Hello.
I have a couple o' questions regarding iron/steel. I just learned that several weeks ago my dad threw away almost all of my metal, thinking it was trash, including a big ol' truck leafspring which I had cleaned up, and was intending to cut into chunks and strips for various blades. grrrrr... I am going to go out to get some more steel/iron soon, and I am wondering, what are the most useful types of barstock for small time blacksmithing, I still have about 3 feet of 1/2 inch round with copper plating around it, but that's all. would this be of any use? Also, what are good commercial sources for barstock, and thick sheet metal, fairly cheap?
Thanks,
Archie

Your 1/2 inch round with copper plate is probably ground rod. If you heat it, the copper will burn off but I wouldn't want to breathe the fumes.

If I were you, I'd go to a steel distributor who carries shapes and get some 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" round and square. Anything bigger is hard to work by hand. One piece of each should set you back less than $50 total. Go junkyard hunting for high carbon steel for tools and such but buy your new material when you can afford it - that way you know what you are getting.

Archie, it's the same old story when you're "skint" ie lack heaps of dosh, keep your eyes open where ever you go and keep spreading the message about your new found interest. Sure there are lots of different steels, and they all look the same to me, but it can be found in the oddest places. A simple spark test, although far from conclusive, will give you an idea of what you have found. Stick to the size of stuff that you are sure you can get to forging heat in your forge. And working on the smaller sections will give you a chance to pick up some basic skills. As you progress and your equipment evolves you'll want to move onto some bigger stuff. That's how it should be I reckon. Anticipate the destination but enjoy the journey. And speak to your dad :D

Archie, metal can come from the strangest places. As Strine says, keep your eyes open.

Make friends with the local mechanic. I just got two tie rods last time I stopped in 1/2 x 12" made from some good steel. But he has been a source for leaf spring, coil spring, sway bars, and many other things in the past.

Alleys, junk yards, neighbors are good sources also. And don't forget the machines that are being thrown out on trash day. That washing machine may have developed a transmission or water problem and still have a good motor, the dryer may have burned out a heating element and have a good blower, or motor, or other parts.

Keep looking as the stuff is out there. And most can be obtained just by asking

First time that rusted metal goes into the fire, the rust pops off where it gets hot. Now if your going to use rusty metal for curves, bends, etc., clean it while it is straqight first, as it is a real pain to clean a curved surface later.

You may want to consider a wire brush for cleaning rust as it is much more aggressive.

It depends on how your going to use the spring. I often see it as flatbar with a slight bend in the stock rather than a spring. Made a "V" brace to hold an axle under a small garden wagon from spring stock using it where you would normally use flatbar.

It is used a lot here for hardie plates, the flat piece where the hardie post is attached to one side, and the anvil tool to the other side.

Anneal any part where you want to drill a hole.