I Forge Iron

Right way to adjust self contained guides

So what is the "right" way to set up the guides on a self contained hammer? My 3B has got issues in that I don't think the ram is centered in the guide, when I pulled it down I can see where it's rubbing on the cushion tower ( inside the ram bore). It looks like it is pushing forward a few thou

So what is the "right" way to set up the guides on a self contained hammer? My 3B has got issues in that I don't think the ram is centered in the guide, when I pulled it down I can see where it's rubbing on the cushion tower ( inside the ram bore). It looks like it is pushing forward a few thou

I'll be doing this soon myself so I'm all ears as well.
Does the video from Bergman cover this?
What about Ralph Sproul's CD on his rebuilds?

Ric

I bought Ralf's video years ago and I think it does have a bit about adjusting the guides... but I lent the video out long ago and never got it back and I dont remember... It seems to me that setting the guide on the ram out of the hammer and then using a indicator to shim the guides till it was dead center of the guide ring is the thing to do.... But that also seems like a pretty time consuming and difficult task.... Getting the guides tight to the ram is easy.... getting them to hold the tup dead center of the bore another thing entirely...

I talked to Bob Bergman today and his method is dead simple... So the major hangup I have with my 3B is all 4 of the guides are diffrent thicknesses... some by as much as .100.. so they all require a diffrent shim amount to be at the same distance from the back of the guide ring to the ram... So what Bob recommended is surface grind or machine all 4 guides so they are parallel and exactly the same thickness... then measure the hole, measure the guides and measure the ram... what ever its short split in two and shim away... He does the setup with the guide out of the hammer blocked up on a table so with a forklift you can check fit easily...

Seems like a great deal to me... with all the guides the same thickness the shims just get split even and installed..

I spent all day dinkin around with the 3B... Its back together and running but I still have something hanging up.. Somedays I find it amazing how hard it can be to cure such a simple thing... I measured, blued, scraped filed and shimmed... had the hammer apart and togehter at least a dozen times.. With only slight improvement... I got work to do so its as good as it gets at the moment..

I think it's often like that one spends hours and hours trying to tweak something and when you finally get it right, you ask yourself "why did'nt I see/try that first time around?"

I hope it 'gels' soon.(sorry I don't have the magic bullet)(I don't think I've ever seen a 3B) :D

Ian