I Forge Iron

Sealing a handle

Hi all,
When I finish a handle, whether it is slabs or a hidden tang, I usually use several coats of tung oil. Lately I have tried to use two coats of 2 ton epoxy, lightly sanding between coats, then buffing the last coat. Not sure how it is working to seal the handles as I just started doing it.
But now I'm faced with something new. I am making a hunting knife for myself and I'm coming close to making the handle slabs. The slabs will be made of cherry. But a few years ago for my birthday, a friend sent me some odd pieces of leftover petrified mammoth tusk to use as inlay. I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to use some of it! But how should I seal it to make sure the wood and the tusk are protected from the elements?

Best stuff I have ever found is Kwik-Poly. Takes some practice to work with as it hardens in about 10 minutes. It is extremely thin as first mixed though and will penetrate deeply and seal even in one coat like nothing else I have ever found... and I have LOOKED and TRIED!!! Towel bars, handles and countertops become impervious to mosture when primed with this.

Link: Kwik-Poly

I only use handle materials that have been stabilized. including old ivory. Rarely do I buy anything that is not prepared this way but when I do I send it to be stabilized. After installing the handles I finish them and buff. Done deal. They are ready for wotever they meet in life with no fear of failed finishes.

Best stuff I have ever found is Kwik-Poly. Takes some practice to work with as it hardens in about 10 minutes. It is extremely thin as first mixed though and will penetrate deeply and seal even in one coat like nothing else I have ever found... and I have LOOKED and TRIED!!! Towel bars, handles and countertops become impervious to mosture when primed with this.

Link: Kwik-Poly

Thanks for this tip. It sounds like very promising stuff.